Monday, December 29, 2014

Olam US Bonds - The highest yield with currency risk.

  • Current Price = US$1.08
  • Interest = US$0.0675 per share
  • Yield = 6.368%
  • Credit Rating = None
Investment till Callable Date
  • Tenure = 3 years
  • Total Interest = US$0.2025 per share
  • Capital Loss = $0.08
  • Overall Return = $0.1225
  • Overall Annual Yield = 3.781%
As I am rebuilding my cash reserve, it would be good to look at some of these bonds again to see whether it is good. One of the choice is Olam 6.75% Bonds.

The interest rate is quite high at 6.25% which is the highest in the market (even higher than Hyflux) If we are looking at investment till maturity, the overall annual yield is 3.781% which unfortunately is not the highest

One interesting point is that it is US denominated which means there is a currency risk. However to think about it, if US raise their interest rates which has always been the talk in the financial world, money will flow into the country. Therefore, US dollar will rise and it will benefit this bond.

With 3.781%, I don't think I will be putting this amount of money in this yet. I can wait until it drops further before I analyze again. I am still leaving my money in my OCBC 360 account which is giving me 3.05%.

No comments:

Post a Comment